KCSMA Statement of Purpose: To provide a safe, positive learning environment that inspires strong character; promotes intellectual, social, and emotional development; and challenges all students to aspire to their personal best.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Happy Weekend Everyone!

I hope you all are having a restful weekend! 

To recap this past week, in writing we finished our elapsed time fairy tales.  I was quite pleased with myself on this writing prompt, since my goal is to infuse math and science into every subject!  We also started working on a strategy called UNRAVEL, which gives the students steps to take for comprehending reading passages.  I had to explain that we were going to practice on simple passages in order to practice the strategy and then work up to a much harder passages and they could apply what they learned. 

In Math we started studying mass.  We used scales to weigh and measure grams using different classroom items.  We used non standard units of measure like paperclips and marbles, then switched to grams.  We learned how to convert grams to kilograms and kilograms to grams.  Then applied our knowledge to word problems.  This is a new unit of study to 3rd grade due to the switch to common core. 

In Social Studies we finished Eleanor Roosevelt and started on Economics.  The students are very excited about Market Day and hopefully you all saw the note about the rules and are making a decision about what to sell.  I know the deadline said to turn in the idea by March 8th, but I told my students they had until the 11th.  I did get a lot of submissions back and told the students that we have a lot of them making cupcakes.  If they wanted to change they needed to let me know Monday.

Finally, in Science we started studying magnets.  The students enjoy the hands on activities and playing with magnets.  Many students said they had a magnet set and I encouraged them to bring some items in.  Just remember, the items would be for Science only!

Thank you, Thank you to all of you that sent in items for the Hurricane victims, scales for us to use, and money for the Movie Basket that Mrs. Traub is putting together.  I know there is a lot going on and I feel I am always begging for something, but they are all for a good cause!

Thanks for your support,
Mrs. Borg

No comments:

Post a Comment