KCSMA Statement of Purpose: To provide a safe, positive learning environment that inspires strong character; promotes intellectual, social, and emotional development; and challenges all students to aspire to their personal best.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

5 More School Days Until Spring Break!!

Just 5 more days until Spring Break and I don't know about you guys, but I am ready!  I know the students are ready also!

This past week was (as usual) packed with plenty of excitement.  In writing we had one of my favorite writing activities so far this year.  Each child was given a chick to take care of and we used the chick for different writing prompts.  We reviewed writing letters, persuasive, how-to, narrative, and informational.  Some students took taking care of their chicks very seriously and others not so much!  I was worried that some students would not "get into" the aspect of taking care of a chick, but everyone (including boys) really seemed to enjoy it.  I even gave away twin chicks to those that worked hard and for those that neglected their chick or left it on the floor, the chick went into chicky jail.  It was fun.

In Math we started graphs and measurement.  We learned about pictographs, bar charts, and line plots.  This unit seems to be much easier for the students and we needed that after working on time! We also continue to review and work on math facts and time with warm ups and listening to raps or school house rock music.  We are still working on earning our ice cream sundae party by passing off the timed multiplication tests.  We usually take these on Friday so practice, practice, practice!

In Social Studies we are learning about Thurgood Marshall and although the next couple American Heroes we are learning about are important, the students have a difficult time relating to them.  I try to make any connections to the students and history I can such as relatives that might have lived during that time or personal stories from my family history.  I even had a twenty dollar bill from 1934 and we discussed what all that twenty dollar bill may have lived through.  Some of the time I can even relate it to a video game!

In Science we started Heart and Energy.  I have a couple of experiments planned and they have been learning about it Science specials, so I hope they enjoy this unit.  Ask your student about the oven mitts and the thermometers.  I also gave each student a student thermometer, made out of card stock, for them to practice reading temperature.  If you have an opportunity to have an outdoor thermometer or use one in the kitchen, take time to talk to your student about it.

Hang in there for the last 5 days before Spring Break and have a great weekend.

Thanks,
Mrs. Borg

No comments:

Post a Comment